• Search

UPS Employee Arrested After Threatening Mass Shooting

UPS employee Thomas Andrews was arrested by Sunnyvale police after he sent threatening text messages to his employer.

Sunnyvale, CA – Investigators discovered multiple “tactical-style rifles,” 20,000 rounds of ammunition, and body armor in the home of a United Parcel Service (UPS) employee who threatened to carry out a mass shooting at his workplace.

At approximately 8 p.m. on Sunday, Sunnyvale police received a report that a UPS employee, 32-year-old Thomas Andrews, had sent threatening text messages to his employer, the Sunnyvale Police Department (SPD) said in a press release on Monday.

Andrews said in the messages that he was plotting a mass shooting at the Sunnyvale UPS facility.


Police immediately launched a search for Andrews after learning that he was the registered owner of one rifle and four handguns.

An officer spotted the suspect driving in the area of Maude Avenue and Fair Oaks Avenue at approximately 11:15 p.m. on March 1, but Andrews refused to pull over and sped off onto Highway 101 southbound, according to police.

SPD officers and California Highway Patrol troopers chased after the suspect, who was ultimately apprehended near Bailey Road.

“Initially he indicated he wanted to fight with the officers, but then he surrendered without injury,” Sunnyvale Police Captain Dan Pistor told the Associated Press.

During a subsequent search of Andrews’ home, investigators located body armor, three handguns, one shotgun, “high-capacity magazines,” five “tactical-style rifles,” and over 20,000 rounds of ammunition, according to the SPD press release.

He had also packed up several “tactical backpacks” and had them staged near the front door of his residence, police said.

“He alluded to a mass shooting in his text messages,” Capt. Pistor told Associated Press. “I definitely think we avoided a tragedy.”


Andrews was arrested on multiple weapons violations, as well as driving under the influence, evading police, and making criminal threats, according to the press release.

He was booked into the Santa Clara County Jail on $500,000 bond, NBC News reported.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing.

Holly Matkin - March Tue, 2020


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."