Ann Arbor, MI – A pageant winner who openly supported President Donald Trump said she was stripped of her title just days after she won the crown because of anti-conservative bias.
Kathy Zhu was named the Indiana and Michigan 2019 national finalist in the Miss and Teen World America (MWA) Preliminary and Finals, according to Newsweek.
On Thursday, she was notified via email by the organizers of the pageant that she had been disqualified and had her title revoked due to some of her old social media posts that someone found offensive.
“Miss World America’s State/National/Chief Director accused me of being racist, Islamaphobic, and insensitive,” the 20-year-old Zhu, who is Chinese, wrote on Facebook. “They stripped me of my Miss Michigan title due to my refusal to try on a hijab in 2018, my tweet about black on black gun violence, and ‘insensitive’ statistical tweets.”
In February of 2018, Zhu found herself in the crosshairs of social justice warriors on her college campus after she refused to try on a hijab and then posted about it Twitter.
Zhu said she was changing classes at University of Central Florida when she encountered a “try a hijab” booth and declined the offer, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
“So you’re telling me that it’s now just a fashion accessory and not a religious thing?” she tweeted afterwards, and included pictures of the booth. “Or are you just trying to get women used to being oppressed under Islam?”
The pageant organizers were also offended by a post she made about black-on-black crime.
“Did you know the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks? Fix problems within your own community first before blaming others,” Zhu posted, according to Newsweek.
The organizers took umbrage at the tweets and used them as grounds to take Zhu’s beauty pageant title away from the winner less than a week after she was granted her crown.
“It has been brought to the attention of Miss World America that your social media accounts contain offensive, insensitive and inappropriate content, and in violation of MWA’s Rules and Conditions, specifically the contestant requirement of ‘being of good character and whose background is not likely to bring into disrepute Miss World America or any person associated with the organization,’” MWA State Director Laurie DeJack wrote to Zhu.
“Therefore, and effective immediately, MWA does not recognize you as a participant of any sort or in any capacity as it relates to any and all events of MWA,” DeJack wrote, summarily firing the new beauty queen.
“Furthermore, let this communication serve as official notice to remove any mention of yourself as a participant in MWA from all social media platforms (including photographs of you wearing the MWA Michigan sash and/or crown, and any text claiming to be a participant of MWA events),” she ordered the decrowned college student.
Zhu complied with the organizations directive to remove the pictures but she also decided to take her case public, Newsweek reported.
She said on her Facebook page that she felt vindicated after she shared what had been done to her.
“I woke up this morning with an overwhelming amount of support; I can’t thank you all enough,” Zhu wrote. “I’m glad this story came to light because this is more than just some beauty pageant, this is about the prejudice views against people with ‘different opinions.’”
Zhu said doesn’t plan to take legal action against the organization.
“I think they have suffered enough negative publicity – especially because they wanted to decrown me due to not wanting bad publicity in the first place,” she explained. “
“When they go low, we go high,” she said, making fun of a famous quote from Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign.