• Search

Manhunt Underway For Gunman Who Shot Officer Inside Missouri Walmart

The gunman fled the scene after shooting the Calverton Park police officer three times.

Ferguson, MO – The gunman who shot a Calverton Park police officer during an attack inside a Walmart store on Sunday night is still at large.

Police have released a photo of the unidentified suspect.

He is described as a black male between the age of 20 and 25, stands between 5-foot-6 and 5-foot-8, and weighs between 150 and 160 pounds, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.


The gunman was last seen wearing a green jacket, gray sweatpants, and black socks with Nike sandals.

His hair is braided into a small ponytail.

The attack occurred just inside the entrance of the Walmart store on West Florissant Avenue at approximately 7:15 p.m., the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

The 35-year-old, off-duty Calverton Park Police Department (CPPD) officer was working a security job at the store.

He was wearing his full police uniform at the time – to include his ballistic vest, according to the CPPD.

The altercation occurred when the officer confronted the suspect, who was allegedly shoplifting, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

The suspect pulled out a gun a fired several rounds, hitting the officer twice in the torso and once in the arm before fleeing the scene.


The officer did not return fire, according to St. Louis County Police Department (SLCPD) Sergeant Benjamin Granda.

Police do not have a description of the gunman’s possible getaway vehicle.

“We believe he probably got into a car,” Sgt. Granda said, according to KMOV. “Right now, his whereabouts are unknown. We’ve got a large amount of our resources out here searching for this individual now.”

Walmart loss-prevention supervisor Schyler Pokorski, who also has military training, took off his belt and used it as a tourniquet on the officer’s arm to help stop the bleeding while emergency medical personnel responded to the scene, Ferguson Police Department (FPD) Captain Harry Dillworth told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

FPD Officer Jontaine Glover also applied a tourniquet to the wounded officer’s arm during the aftermath of the shooting.

The officer’s ballistic vest stopped the two rounds that struck his torso, according to Sgt. Granda.

The two-year veteran-of-the-force was rushed to Barnes-Jewish Hospital, and has since been released.


“He’s in good spirits, and he’s home recovering right now,” CPPD Officer Chris Robertson said on Monday morning, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

No one else was injured during the attack.

“We’re very thankful that he was wearing a vest tonight,” Sgt. Granda said.

Over 30 patrol vehicles from multiple jurisdictions responded to the area to search for the gunman, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

K9s and a Metro Air Support helicopter have also been dispatched to assist, according to KMOV.

Holly Matkin - February Mon, 2020


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."