Corcoran, CA – The California prison inmate accused of killing two convicted child molesters by bashing them in their heads with a walking cane inside a prison treatment center said that he carried out the murders as a favor to society.
“Being a lifer, I’m in a unique position where I sometimes have access to these people and I have so little to lose,” inmate Jonathan Watson wrote in a confession letter to The Mercury News.
“And trust me, we get it, these people are every parents’ worst nightmare,” Watson added. “These [families] spend years carefully and articulately planning how to give their children every opportunity that they never had, and one monster comes along and changes that child’s trajectory forever.”
Watson, 41, was sentenced to life in prison in 2009 after being convicted of first-degree murder and intentionally discharging a firearm causing great bodily injury or death, the Associated Press reported.
He was an inmate at the California State Substance Abuse Treatment Facility (SATF) and State Prison on Jan. 16, when he attacked the two convicted sex offenders, 62-year-old Graham De Luis-Conti and 48-year-old David Bobb, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) said in a press release at the time.
De Luis-Conti and Bobb were both serving life sentences after being convicted of aggravated sexual assault of a child under 14 years of age.
De Luis-Conti had been an inmate with CDCR since 2001, and Bobb had been an inmate since 2005.
In his letter to The Mercury News, Watson said he was transferred to SATF just one week before the murders.
Watson said that the transfer was the result of him being reclassified as a lower security risk, which also resulted in him being moved from a single cell to a dorm setting.
The convicted murderer called the move “careless,” and said that he repeatedly protested his new living arrangements in various grievances.
Six days after his arrival at SATF, an offender who Watson referred to as “Molester # 1” moved into their shared pod, he told The Mercury News.
When Watson and other inmates spotted the child molester freely watching the PBS Kids channel in front of everyone in the pod, they perceived it as a taunt.
Watson said that he was so upset by the inmate’s brazenness that he knew he had to do something.
“I could not sleep having not done what every instinct told me I should’ve done right then and there, so I packed all of my things because I knew one way or another the situation would be resolved the following day,” he told The Mercury News.
According to Watson, he warned a prison counselor the next morning that he was considering “really [expletive] one of these dudes up,” and that he should probably be moved to another area with higher security.
“[The counselor] scoffed and dismissed me,” he told the paper.
Watson went back to his pod and was “mulling” the situation “when along came Molester # 1 and he put his TV right on PBS Kids again,” he wrote.
“But this time, someone else said something to the effect of ‘Is this guy really going to watch this right in front of us?’ and I recall saying, ‘I got this,’” Watson explained. “And I picked up the cane and went to work on him.”
The violent attack went undetected, so when he was finished, Watson went to find a corrections officer to confess to what he’d done, The Mercury News reported.
“As I got to the lower tier, I saw a known child trafficker, and I figured I’d just do everybody a favor,” Watson continued. “In for a penny, in for a pound.”
Watson repeatedly bashed the second inmate in the head with the cane, then continued on his quest to find a corrections officer to confess to, he told The Mercury News.
“I told him, ‘I’ve got some pretty bad news,’” Watson said of his conversation with the corrections officer. “I told him what I’d just done, which he also didn’t believe until he looked around the corner and saw the mess I’d left in the dorm area.”
Bobb died of his injuries while en route to the hospital, and De Luis-Conti succumbed to his injuries on Jan. 19, the CDCR said in an earlier press release.
Watson said he also made a full confession to prison officials, and that he plans to plead guilty to the murders if he is charged, The Mercury News reported.
In the meantime, he has been placed in segregated housing and his phone privileges have been restricted.
He also hinted that he could be a risk to other child molesters if he is housed with them in the future.
The CDCR said that the investigation into the killings is ongoing, The Mercury News reported.