• Search

3 Manchester Officers Stabbed Responding To Domestic Disturbance Call

Manchester police said 18-year-old Akwasi Owusu stabbed three officers who responded to a call at his home on Tuesday.

Manchester, NH – Three police officers were stabbed by an 18-year-old suspect on Tuesday when they responded to a domestic incident between family members at his home.

The incident occurred at about 3:20 p.m. on Feb. 4 at an apartment on Ahern Street in the Elmwood Gardens housing project, the New Hampshire Union Leader reported.

Someone inside the home had called police and reported a disturbance between family members inside the apartment.


Manchester Police Public Information Officer Heather Hamel said that when officers arrived at the home, 18-year-old Akwasi Owusu barricaded himself in his bedroom and refused to come out, the New Hampshire Union Leader reported.

Officers did not realize that Owusu was armed with a knife, and they went into the room to get him.

Owusu became combative, and then he attacked and stabbed three officers with a knife as they tried to take him out of the room, the New Hampshire Union Leader reported.

“There was a struggle as police tried to arrest the suspect,” said Hamel.

“Police did not know Owusu had a hidden knife which he began to swing, stabbing three officers as they tried to arrest him,” police said, according to WBZ.

All three officers were transported to the hospital for stab wounds, the New Hampshire Union Leader reported.

Manchester police later identified the wounded officers as Manchester Police Officers Brendan Langton, Olivia LaCroix, and Kevin Shields.


Officer Langton, 26, is a four year veteran of the police department, the New Hampshire Union Leader reported.

Officers LaCroix, 26, and Shields have been with the Manchester police for two and three years, respectively.

Officer Shields, 32, was previously an officer with the Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, DC, the New Hampshire Union Leader reported.

All three officers are expected to recover but two of them remained in the hospital as of Wednesday morning.

Owusu was arrested at the scene and charged with three counts of first-degree assault for his attack on the Manchester police officers, WBZ reported.

He was also charged with criminal mischief for the fight involving a family member.

Owusu was already facing charges of second-degree domestic assault and simple domestic assault for an earlier, unrelated incident, the New Hampshire Union Leader reported.


He was held without bond pending his arraignment in Hillsborough Superior Court on Wednesday.

Sandy Malone - February Wed, 2020


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."